So after a long time of not updating what I’ve been cooking on Fridays I’ve decided to get back into it. Granted I only did it for two weeks, at least when it came to posting about what I cooked, so now I have a good amount of recipes that I’ve tried out in the last few weeks. One of the first recipes I wanted to try to make were shrimp tacos, mostly because they are very easy to make and also very quick to cook. Usually shrimp cooks in less than 10 minutes so this was a perfect place to start as a novice cook. Unfortunately for me shrimp tacos are a very popular tag on Pinterest as you can see on the previous link, so choosing a recipe to try out took a bit of time. Ultimately though I decided on this Chipotle Shrimp Tacos recipe from Heather Christo and am I glad I did! Not only was this recipe very easy to make but it also seemed to satisfy everyone in my family. I should have made more shrimp specially since I know that my brothers really enjoy seafood but in all honesty I didn’t think they would be as well accepted as they were and it had nothing to do with the food or recipe themselves but mostly that my brothers don’t usually like to try what I make for them.This recipe however, was one that everyone enjoyed and even got seconds and thirds of. This recipe was beyond easy to make and the sauce that goes with it gave it that extra umf that it needed to make it spicy enough for my father but also not entirely necessary so the rest of the family could go without it and still enjoy all the flavors. This recipe is definitely one of the ones that are going to be reserved in the too lazy to make anything really fancy but still absolutely delicious and well made. The most time consuming thing we had to do was wait for the shrimp to marinate in the spice rub and that only took 30 minutes and the spice rub itself only a few minutes to make.
For the past few weeks I’ve been in charge of making some sort of meal for my family on Fridays, mostly my mom, dad, sister and I since my brothers usually eat outside. I was given this task since my mom gets very stressed out about making the same meals over and over again and my family was getting tired of eating that same things over and over as well.
This all began when the Copa Centenaria was being played and I made a delicious snack for my family to enjoy. I honestly didn’t think anyone besides me was going to enjoy the Kimchi Bulgogi Nachos but was pleasantly surprised when my dad and one of my brothers ate a majority of the nachos. My mom doesn’t like Kimchi or sweet sauces like the bulgogi sauce that was used so she didn’t even want to try the food, but seeing my dad and brothers reaction she joked that I should be in charge of cooking on the weekends. I compromised that I would cook on Fridays since I don’t work on those days and also most weekends we are out at family parties, simple family gatherings, and just plain eating at fast food places or restaurants that my dad likes so I didn’t want to adhere to a three day cooking schedule when most weekends three days wouldn’t even be available. Since then I’ve been cooking every single Friday a different type of food and so far it seems that it’s going well for me.
I am going to let you know that I am by no means a cook. If I’m being completely honest this is the first time that I’ve been in the kitchen for more than an hour at a time. I mean I help out my mom when she cooks but only with a few simple tasks like chopping vegetables or making sure things don’t get burned once they’re in the pots and pans while she’s out doing something else but I’ve never been in charge of doing a complete meal until the last few weeks.
Like I said the first meal/snack I made were some Kimchi Bulgogi Nachos from the awesome Closet Cooking website. When I first saw this recipe I thought it would be a hard recipe since it said to make the bulgogi sauce but at the bottom I saw that you can replace it with a store bought brand and so I decided to do that. Mostly because I wasn’t sure I could make the bulgogi sauce from scratch and also to save me some time since I really wanted to watch the games with my family. Since I bought the bulgogi sauce and I already had some leftover Kimchi from some Kimchi fried rice before it was a very easy recipe to complete. All in all I think it took about half an hour to 45 minutes to complete since I took a few shortcuts as I mentioned before. This recipe was super easy to assemble and delicious to eat. I highly recommend going through the Closet Cooking website and looking for other recipes. I spent quite a bit of time going through the website finding other recipes that I want to make for my family later on and already have quite a few saved on my laptop to make later on.
I will keep updating with the new recipes I try out and seeing what works for a total newbie in the kitchen like myself and what really doesn’t.
Today’s Wonderful Wednesday is all about podcasts!
I’ve been listening to a lot of podcasts lately since we are allowed to have music at work and not only do I love the podcast mentioned below for being entertaining and informative but also because they make my days go so much faster. There is one specific podcast that I must listen to as soon as a new episode comes out. So in no particular order below are my favorite podcasts at the moment.
- Anna Faris is Unqualified – This podcast is honestly one of the best podcasts I’ve ever heard in my life! I love the relationship that Anna is able to have with all of her guests on the show as well as with the listeners of the show. Although the title says that she is unqualified to give advice I find myself agreeing with her on most points that she makes, there may be one or two things were we don’t see eye to eye but she makes great points for her reasoning. Basically the show is about Anna giving out advice to listeners who send out questions to her and the celebrity guests of the show. I think that everyone needs to listen to this podcast at least once and fall in love with it as much as I did.
- Ladies Who Lunch – This podcast is hosted by two YouTuber’s Ingrid Nilsen and Cat Valdes. I enjoy this podcast because they discuss various issues that resonate with me in a personal way and I also enjoy that they obviously want to talk about major issues that are going on in today’s world. My favorite part of this podcast is that the girls read a letter out loud and give out advice to the sender of the letter but also make it very clear at the end of the episode that if you want to remain anonymous it can be done. This podcast hasn’t been out that long but it has become one of my favorites already.
- Travel with Rick Steves – This podcast is actually a radio show that Rick Steve does but also happens to make into a podcast. I have been going through all of his podcasts and listen to the new ones as they come out but have also gone back into the archives on the iphone app and listened to all off 2010 and more than half of 2011 so far. This podcast inspires me to travel and makes my wanderlust come in full force. One of my favorite episodes are the ones where they speak about he refugee situation going on in Europe today. Having the panelists from the countries where things are going on gives the place new life for me. Although there are a lot of episodes that revolve around Europe I enjoy listening to the episodes from other parts of the world specially since Rick has some insight into those places as well.
I would love new suggestions to add to my podcast list to update it and also to listen to different points of views. Let me know if you guys have listened to any of these podcasts and if so if you have any favorite episodes too.
I haven’t been using the site at all due to getting used to my new work schedule but I’m finally back! I haven’t done anything exciting in the last few months other than to work, eat, and sleep. Hopefully now that I’m getting used to the schedule I will be able to go out. Actually starting later this year I will be working Monday through Thursday only so I hope I’ll be able to travel a little bit on the weekends. Once I start doing that I think I will have a lot more to post on here, specially since I don’t have anything to talk about right now. I will keep everyone updated as time goes on and plans come into fruition.
Today was a fun day all around and to celebrate that here is a list of my top 5 K-pop songs ever.
- Big Bang-Crazy Dog
- 2NE1-Pretty Boy
- Brave Girls-Easily
As you can see from this list I have very particular tastes when it comes to music and I tend to by YG biased.
Anyways today was a fun day at work and at home as well. The day seemed to fly at work and that makes me very happy because it means that I’m doing something that either interests me a little bit or challenges me to work hard and not focus on time. It also helps me to focus on the task at hand and not worry about problems that I may be facing elsewhere so here’s to a wonderful day at work and hopefully it’ll stay like this for a while!
I just wrote a post about making writing a habit and here I am once again late, but better late than never right?
Yesterday nothing really exciting happened it was just a regular day. I didn’t see anything that made my day nor made me smile for no reason at all. I did however have great and enjoyable day just resting and being 100% comfortable with the decisions I’ve made thus far. They aren’t decisions that I would make again if given the chance, but given the circumstances my life isn’t as bad as I originally thought. That in itself was a great reason to be alive and bustling around with my family. Also I’ve decided that instead of getting a gym membership I’m going to go to some group classes. I’m hoping that this way I can get motivated to work out and live a healthy lifestyle and also make some friends and acquaintances along the way. What better way to start off the new year than by finally doing something to help myself a little bit.
My original plan was to write a weekly section on here called Wonderful Wednesday where I would find something that made me happy or smile on Wednesday but that hasn’t gone as planned. I also wanted to start a blog to get myself into reading and writing and growing as a person, alas I’ve not been able to follow through on any of those goals thus far. The main reason I started this blog was to be able to get a feel for maybe being able to do some travel blogging; as I’ve learned no travel=no travel blogging. I also realized that keeping up with a blog is a lot of work and I generally don’t have the drive to continue on with something unless I’m getting paid. So this 2016 my resolution is to once again go ahead and do something that is outside my comfort zone and to experience life to the fullest. I’m going to try my best to finally go through with my resolution this year so hopefully this will be an interesting ride. I will try to keep this blog updated as much as possible with new experiences even if it’s not related to travel. I can always use this as a way to not think too much.
So as a goodbye to 2015 I want to make a small list of all the accomplishments and the things that made me grateful this past year.
- My parents finally got their residency after 18 years of having their paperwork in the system!! This is definitely that thing I’m most thankful for this year. Not only because it made my mom happy but also because now I know that if I ever want to move out they’ll be ok. They won’t need me to be around 24/7 and it gives me great peace of mind that my parents can finally drive around town and not be worried about cops or anything of the sort. Also the fact that my mom was able to see my grandma for the first time in 18 years is also worth celebrating. I don’t know how she spent so many years without seeing her but I’m glad she was finally able to do it.
- I got my very first car! Although it’s not anything fancy and I’m making payments that fact that I was able to get it makes me happy. I no longer have to make plans with my friend based on her driving range but I can now go anywhere she is comfortable going to in my own car and experience a lot more things in the process.
- That being said I’m also very happy to say that I’ve helped my dad drive out of state for the first time. Granted we’ve only gone out of the state a few times but still. I helped him drive to Texas and back home when my mom went to Mexico for the second time this year. Being able to drive even if only for a little while was an amazing feeling. Although I would have preferred to take a nap it was still very fun to see a bit of the land on the way there and back.
- Finally, I’m very happy that I was able to travel even if only for the day. I went to Texas once this year, twice to Juarez, Mexico, and finally we drove down to Mexico for one day to return the cars pass. We were only able to eat dinner and go to a small corner store before we were on our way but it was still super refreshing to see how everything completely changes just by crossing one border.
Let’s make this upcoming year one filled with a lot of happiness and adventures!
MY BUCKET LIST
- Become an international student in South Korea.
- Learn to cook.
- Learn to control my finances.
- Travel to all the places I have dreamt of.
- New Zealand
- Become my own boss.
- Enjoy being loved.
- Become a role model for someone.
- Learn to snorkel.
- Learn to snowboard.
- Help my family follow their dreams.
I’ve been thinking about making my own bucket list for quite a while but due to the fact that I don’t usually follow through on most of my goals I’ve debated actually writing it down for as long as I’ve thought about making it. For some reason today it hit me that even if I don’t actually complete everything on my list I should still write it down as a way to have goals in my life. I know that writing down a bucket list won’t actually make me want to follow through with all the hard work that comes along with making those trips and wishes come true, but maybe it’ll become a good stepping stone towards me becoming more aware with what I can actually accomplish. The main reason I want to write this down though is so that I can start getting through my own issues of insecurity, I know that my insecurities are the main reason why I don’t do what I want. I always think that I’ll fail and I don’t want to live this way anymore, I mean who wants to live all their life with so many dreams and being to scared to even begin to chase them?
In all honesty, how can I look my sister or my mom in their eyes and tell them to be confident and that they should follow all their dreams when I sit in my room scared to even try? But that’s honestly what I do, I listen to their dreams and wishes and encourage them to follow them but whenever I think of a dream I think of all the reasons why I shouldn’t do it before thinking of why I should do it. Isn’t that something? Instead of encouraging myself to be better I bring myself down. I anticipate the failure of all my dreams without even giving them a chance to grow. Part of the reason why I anticipate the failure is also because I’m too lazy to do the research and work needed to accomplish something so instead of imagining the best outcome I imagine the worst to make myself feel better about not trying. It’s so much easier to just know you’re going to fail and not try instead of trying and having more obstacles come my way. Maybe being a homebody is not the greatest way to live this life, it’s nice to be able to be alone but it also saddens me to know that I’m missing so many opportunities just because I’m so afraid to go out and try.
I never learned how to express myself in public or alone, so all my feelings are always internalized and only show up once in a while when the smallest thing sets off ginormous emotions that come out of nowhere. Sometimes I’ll be watching TV and will just feel like crying out of the blue, that moment when I cry I feel so pitiful for not trying and for giving up without even trying, so this bucket list will be my first step to not pity myself or my decisions anymore.
So for some reason I’ve been really unhappy with a lot of things in my life lately and have decided that in order to cheer myself up I will start a wonderful Wednesday as a weekly corner. This corner will include anything that makes me smile on Wednesdays from something as small as a good picture that I take to hearing a nice joke from someone and anything in between. Exciting right?
So for my first ever Wonderful Wednesday it is actually a video that’s going pretty viral with the fans of One Direction which is the Carpool Karaoke segment they did at the “Late Late Show With James Corden”. I really enjoyed watching this video because although I don’t know much about One Direction other than that they had five members at first and one of them left and now they have four, but seeing and hearing them sing their hearts out really made me smile. I have two favorite parts in the video which are when the boys are surprised when James hits the high note at minute 5:29 and also when they are learning the dance that James choreographed for their song “No Control” at minute 6:37, also as an extra tidbit hearing how well they can sing specially when Harry hits his notes is also very entertaining. I think I may give a listen to their newest album, I know that they have had other albums in the past but hearing their songs in chronological order on the show has shown me that their latest album will be something that I will like. The small part that they sung for the songs “No Control” and “Perfect” sound like something I would really enjoy. So without further ado here is the video that made me smile this morning. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.